Chris and Amy Moore will be able to salvage most of their belongings after a fire Sept. 22 at their mbile home on west Road 3 South, but the home may no longer be livable.
The Moores watched, and embraced each other, as crews worked at midday to put out a fire that started on the side of the home, moved into the attic and spread from there. The weren't injured in the fire nor were their four dogs, a cat and a horse (in a corral near the house).
Chino Valley Fire District (CVFD) Capt. Danny Parker said the fire started from a pile of fire place ashes sitting next to the house.
"The fire caused major damage to the roof and exterior (on one end of the home)," Parker said. "The good thing is that no civilians, firefighters or animals were hurt."
It took four fire engine crews of 18 fire fighters only 20 minutes to put out the fire, but another three hours to check the attic area entirely. Three crews were from CVFD and one crew was from Central Yavapai Fire District in Prescott Valley.
"We had to pull the ceiling down and check for hot spots and smoldering," Parker said.
Crews covered the Moores' belongings with heavy-duty canvas tarps to protect them while they opened up the ceilings and sprayed water into the attic. He said attic fires cane be dangerous because the ceiling often collapses, further spreading the fire. At this fire, however, crews put out flames before any ceilings collapsed.