12/13/2012 8:24:00 AM Firefighters put out electrical fire in Williamson Valley home
Lisa Irish Special to the Review
Central Yavapai, Prescott and Chino Valley firefighters put out an electrical fire at a Williamson Valley home early Tuesday that started in a heating unit in the attic, charred electrical wires and a circuit board, and melted some ductwork, said Rick Chase, fire marshal for Central Yavapai Fire District.
At 6:49 a.m., firefighters answered a call about a structure fire in the 1100 block of Oneal Road in Williamson Valley.
"The homeowners said they were drinking coffee when the heater came on and they smelled and saw light smoke in the home," Chase said. "They saw black smoke coming from a vent in the master bedroom, called 911, evacuated the home, and waited for firefighters to arrive."
When firefighters and a Prescott battalion chief arrived, they saw light smoking coming from the home, Chase said.
"Fire crews pulled off the gables on the east and west side of the home to reach the fire, found smoke in the attic, and from the inside of the house pulled an air vent return so there was no need to cut into the roof or walls," Chase said.
Damage to the home was estimated at $5,000. The homeowners were able to stay in the home, and had a heating company come out to do repairs, Chase said.
No one was injured in the fire, Chase said.
"The homeowners said smoke detectors in the home went off intermittently during the fire, so they're going to get new ones," Chase said.
Central Yavapai recommends people check that their smoke detectors are working and make sure they replace smoke detector batteries each year, Chase said.
People should consider replacing smoke detectors that have been in the house for more than 10 years, since that is the average lifespan of a smoke detector, Chase said.